Joe's Air Blog

An occasional Brain Dump, from the creator of Joe's SeaBlog

Monday, September 12, 2005

Your Tax Dollars at Work

The Navy brought their flying recruiting show to Brunswick over the weekend. The show, at the Brunswick Naval Air Station, featured the Blue Angels and their F-18 fighter jets. I have to admit that I watched the show, despite the fact that I probably "should" have been protesting with my left-leaning brethren. Well, I watched the Blue Angels anyway, from my friend's boat in Harpswell Sound, pretty much at the end of the BNAS runway. The power and precision of these machines is quite impressive. (I'll also note here that, with the team practicing in Brunswick for three days beforehand, I had already seen a lot of the show anyway).

Of course, the power of earth-moving equipment is fun to watch, too. But when it's taking off the top of a mountain in search of coal it's not fulfilling, even if you can't take your eyes away. This air show, which attracted 200,000 to the base (I think that the figures are just for the base) and many more to surrounding areas, burned 1,300 gallons of fuel used by the F-18's alone (according to one of the linked stories) and countless others in transporting people to Brunswick. It's a colossal waste of resources. Likewise, the tax dollars needed to maintain these $30 million aircraft could be better spent in many many areas. The Blue Angels, after all, are all about entertainment and recruitment. These pilots are not engaged in combat training at this stage of their careers. The last Angels show scheduled for Brunswick was cancelled due to the 9/11 attacks. Hurricane Katrina was much more devastating than 9/11, and clearly underscored how poorly this country has been allocating resources in recent years. If anything, Hurricane Katrina should have provided impetus to cancel the show and scrap the program altogether.

Supporters of the air show talk about how it increases the patriotic feeling in this country, and how attendance showed support for the troops in Iraq. This is baloney. The Blue Angels have no relevance to the war in Iraq, unless it draws more people to the military so that they, too, can spread democracy in the desert (I heard a Navy recruiting ad on the radio this afternoon that elicited the power of the Blue Angels). The Blue Angels were around long before the start of the war in Iraq (and, indeed, the War on Terror), and they'll (unfortunately) be around long after. They serve nothing other than to spread propaganda about the military.

So, I'm sorry, but I went to see the Blue Angels. I also went to spend time with my friends and enjoy a boat ride off the coast of Maine. But I oohed and ahhed at all the right times, and was impressed with the machines and the daredevils who fly them. I also came away with an empty feeling because I don't buy into the goodwill mission that these pilots are supposedly spreading. The whole event was, ultimately, a big waste. At least I got to see where some of my tax dollars are going.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See that's the problem liberals face: They are such moribund, despondent, depressing, individuals. Let no dark cloud be untouched or overhashed.
Yes the Blue Angels came to town. People came to watch. How Vile!
There is something thrilling about watching magnificently skilled artisan ply their trade. Even more exciting when death and danger rides on the wing.
I'm sure you hate NASCAR as well? After all - how much gas was consumed at Loudon this past weekend on track - and off. Or what about the Boston Red Sox? How much better off would we be if the 2.9 million people who flocked to Fenway had just stayed home.
Or maybe people just like to be entertained. A change of pace from their lives where they never soar through the skies, never race around a track at 180 mph, and never hit a ball over the Green Monster. A chance to see something that they may not see again during their lifetime.
Damn Us All.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Really, though, what's so darn liberal about what I wrote? I'm saying that we waste too much fuel in this country. I want to conserve fuel. How is does that make me a despondent, depressing liberal. I also state that I think that the Blue Angels show is a waste of taxpayer money. "Eliminating government waste" - another conservative staple.

The problem with the right wing is that they want to have their cake and eat it, too. There's nothing "conservative" about the right wing - Republicans are extraordinary "consumerists". They want to take what they want and yet keep all of their money. Republicans piss and moan when their tax money does some good for poor people - helps them get medical care or put food on the table - but they are happy as hell to watch the government build some billion-dollar planes and fly them around to get a few oohs and ahhs. Where is the real government waste?

At least with the Red Sox and NASCAR, I can control my own spending. If I choose not to support NASCAR, I don't go. I can't choose to not support the Blue Angels, can I? My tax dollars are funding them. And at least with the Red Sox we have the choice of using public transportation. But ultimately it probably is a waste of resources to have everybody going to the ballpark.

When oil was "unlimited" this wasn't a moral dilemma. We know that the end of oil is coming, and that it's not that far off. Future generations are going to look at our actions, at our wasteful nature, and wonder what the hell we were thinking. Might as well dump sewage directly into your only clean source of drinking water. Sure it's fun to watch it swirl around, but in the end you're just screwing yourself.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The US Navy IS a non-profit organization. Sometimes non profits need to be a little creative in how they fundraiser or people raise. Now I can't predict how many people think they will become one of the handful of pilots amongst an almost 375,000 active duty Navy - but if they want to join because they saw the Blue Angels that's fine with me.

Why? Because one of the primary duties of the US Government is National Defense. Period. So that is where tax dollars should be spent. No if, ands, or wishy washy maybes. Yes it would be nice to live in a world which doesn't require a military to defend ourselves - but as far as I can look back that has never been the case for any society.

btw: I do like the analogy at the end
(sorry for the delay in answering)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home