Joe's Air Blog

An occasional Brain Dump, from the creator of Joe's SeaBlog

Friday, October 14, 2005

All Work and No Play

That's not entirely true, but I feel like the Blogs have been neglected lately. I checked in on the Sea Blog earlier and a tumbleweed went bouncing across the screen. The reason for this dearth of material is my new job (which, by the way, I absolutley love!) You see, I used to do a lot of my blogging during my lunch hour (or occasionally beyond) because, frankly, I didn't care if they thought that I was violating their Internet-use policy. (Which, to be honest, I did with regularity. They got me back by stiffing me out of some vacation. Bastards!) I took that job out of necessity, and they never gave me a reason to consider it anything other than a short-term arrangement, so everybody was out for themselves.

That wasn't a real healthy relationship, but the happy result of all of that is that I've done quite a bit of writing in my blogs over the last few months. Things are going to change a little bit with my new job. Not that they won't let me use my PC during lunch hours (I'm pretty sure they will), but things just feel different at the new place. Everybody seems to be about accomplishing our mission, and I am happy and motivated at a job like I've never been before. I'm not sure that I'll need the mid-day diversion that writing provided me at the other place.

Not to say that I won't be writing. I have more "free" time at home now, and I'll be spending some time on the road, so there will definitely be opportunities for me to blog (and work on longer pieces) during the evenings. The critical thing now is to establish new habits to make writing at home a greater part of the routine. This week has been a transition week, letting go of the old job and embracing the new one. Next week is another transition - getting acclimated to the Vermont portion of the job. If my portable has come in by then, I'll be able to do some writing from the road. Otherwise, it's probably another week or so of neglect before I get back into the swing of things. If I'm lucky, I'll have the time to do a couple more wrap-up entries at the Sea Blog before that material gets too stale. Then it's full force here and at the Land Blog.

It's a new era in Joe's Blog Land, and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully you'll stick with me through the transition period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home