Joe's Air Blog

An occasional Brain Dump, from the creator of Joe's SeaBlog

Monday, June 08, 2009

Garden Update


Square Foot 0604
Originally uploaded by Roadduck99

It’s been about a month since I started this year’s garden, so I thought I would provide an update. It’s my first time trying the Square Foot Gardening method. The originator of this method, Mel Bartholomew, promises that SFG is a fairly low-maintenance method of growing vegetables, and so far I am finding that to be the case.

Of course there is the original work involved in assembling the boxes, mixing the soil and filling the boxes. In reality, accumulating the required materials takes as much time as assembling everything at home. If you want to do this on the ultra-cheap and find people who will give you scrap materials, it will probably take more time. But time is money, and I was willing to pay for convenience.

I also knew that I was going to want to put trellises on my boxes in order to grow tomatoes, beans and cucumbers vertically. Since it was going to be awhile before anything would be ready to climb, I didn’t let the lack of trellises keep me from planting.

In early May, I put in cold-tolerant plants: broccoli, onions, shallots, carrots and several varieties of lettuce. Unfortunately, we have a groundhog in the area who doesn’t understand boundaries, but who also happens to enjoy greens. The groundhog slowed the development of the lettuces and offed one of the two broccoli plants. This necessitated a deterrent. So when I put up the trellises, I also jerry-rigged some posts to hold up bird netting to keep the pests out. This was meant to be a temporary fix, but it seems to be doing well in keeping the rodents away, so I am taking my time with the upgrades.

Over Memorial Day weekend I put in a few other plants – two tomato plants, a pepper plant, basil and swiss chard. I also planted seeds to grow pest-deterring marigolds and zinnias. A week later I planted pole beans and cucumbers. I have also relocated some parsley that was in another garden bed and which also turned out to be on the groundhog’s menu.

Checking in today, things have really started to grow. The cukes finally popped out of the ground the other day, and so everything is off and running now. Free from groundhog nibbles, the lettuce is going strong, and the broccoli (including a seedling I purchased to replace the one that didn’t make it) is growing fast. The seeded items are all up and making their way. We’ve even harvested some lettuce leaves to put in our salads, though we don’t have enough yet to preclude our buying store-bought greens. And I have a couple squares still available for later plantings of lettuce or broccoli, or maybe something else altogether.

Mel promises very little weeding because we start with weed-free soil. That’s mostly true, though he maybe didn’t anticipate that my own compost might have some still-viable seeds in it, or that the maple tree in my back yard would be dumping dozens of seeds on the garden. The good news is that the weeds are easy to see and, since they aren’t embedded in the soil, easy to pull.

All in all, the first month with the new garden has been very gratifying. I look forward to sharing more results in the future.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home